Monday, February 06, 2006

Three for CNY

It's the 9th day of the CNY and I found myself sitting in front of the computer desk again. We had CNY every year, doing almost the similar stuff, except for some people grew older and some friends come back with their own little family. You hardly recognize those kids on the street now, they grew up pretty fast and I must say that I’m getting it.

It was an unusual 2006 because most of us enjoyed rather long break - almost 10 full days. Normally we'll start leaving our hometown on the 3rd day of CNY, you hardly get your rest, really. With the amount of time given i was able to visit more friends and relatives, and travel more while doing more stuff within that peak period. I am able to enjoy as i go on slower pace, let my eyes and shutter box records the precious moments.


First important thing about CNY is reunion, especially among the family members. Depends on the culture of your family, normally all family members will sit down on the round table for lunch, the day before New Year. Round without any angles, family without any troubles. Traditionally the wife will follows the husband, as some old folks says married daughter it's like pouring water out of the door - - things are much different now, of course.

One typical scenario at my grandparent's house: 11 sons and daughters, in-laws plus dozens of grand child, one dining table for 10 people. Again, only round table is essential, even if it is not big enough for some 50 over peoples!

I took the picture of cicada on the dining table but I’m not about to eat this one. (Pardon my, uh, fingers. I was with my wife just now – my old car!!!) In fact, I am rather glad when the cicada interrupted my dinner, with its trademark high pitched, droning sound. Poor fellow probably lost its way while looking for mating partner.


This picture simply represents our time having fun: Cicada is just one of the kid's games, other than messing around with some fireworks. We don't have winter, flower blossom almost throughout the whole year, but we knew CNY is around the corner when we heard/saw one of these. We start tracking them down, hold them up in front of some girls, hide in one's shirt...you know the rest. Note that we don't touch the cicada green in color - - we believe it's being possessed by our ancestors, that they had come back to visit us. I remember I'm at home only for lunch and dinner, other than that we'll be all over the place.

But that was some old stories. We should be looking at different picture now. Fireworks are banned, you’ll get instant fine once caught playing one of those. You, or your parents, that is. Even in some village family kids don’t play further than 3 feet from their protector, their parents. Perhaps the society has changed, that we don’t live in a safer and friendly environment anymore. But sometime it’s important to look back to the history while making our move, not only set your eyes to the global change. When you thought its coke, I think its PS 2.

Kids, teenagers, adults are hanging around with their friends, most of the time. Perhaps I should be doing the conclusion at the later stage of my life, but these there will remain much related to CNY: Do gamble, house visiting and changing different new clothes everyday. I did a lot of funny stuff this year, perhaps I’ll share it in another post.


For many people, money doesn’t come easy. I mean you have to work for it, it just won't come falling down from the sky, grow inside your pocket. Ang pow are our all time favorite, not because of the money inside, because it was given along with some advices, best wishes and support (money). This culture even adopted by our Malay friends as in green pow. It’s a shame that I’m still eligible for getting some, but I just can't say no, right? Haha!!!

I suppose to be giving some, but not until I’m married. That, is going to take some time so I’ll be happy to be a receiver for now!

11 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger HappySurfer said...

Nice post, Low.

Cicada, just have one close-by and you can say goodbye to a good night's sleep.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Alicia said...

angpow is given for luck n not the money in it.. but nowadays ppl who give see the value in monetory terms rather than the real meaning behind it.. that's wad i've observed..

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Pandabonium said...

Cicada - wow. Last summer in Japan I thought they would never stop their desperate love calls. I guess if we had such short a time to find a lover,we would make some crazy sounds too. After a while I noticed that there are many different songs being sung and since I could not avoid the noise, I focused on the different unique songs (hey, it was either that or go crazy).

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

I'm having trouble imagining cicadas this time of year.

Are fireworks really banned where you are? That's surprising considering how important they are in Chinese festive events! Of course, they keep trying to ban them in my home country, too, but without much success...

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

happy...
Sounds like I should be-friend with you when I was a kid. But we can try it now as well, hehe...

mingming...
Tagged? Well thanks and no thanks...I'll see what can I do then :p (don't worry, happy. I know you better now, haha!!!)

alicia...
Yeah, I agree. But small amount of money are still essential. One thing I don't like is some people actually go for angpow 'hunting', visit as many house as possible...eh how come my eyes are blinking? Hehe! :0

Pandabonium...
Such a short time to find lover, eh? Well said! You are right about living in harmony, can't beat them, join them :p

Moody...
Actually I forgot to mention that even the fireworks are banned, those bing-bang sound never stop. On some particular day, it lasted till 2 a.m.! I wonder what are those police doing during my sleepless night.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

Maybe the police are having fun setting off confiscated fireworks! (Don't laugh ; I actually knew of police in Oregon who used to do just that!)

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger YD said...

hehe moody, just like the school prefects having fun using the confiscated items from the students!

coming back to cicada, i think someone scared me nearly to death last time when he/she playfully threw one at me. phobic since then, :-| (now don't get any idea from this...)

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Well moody, the enforcer are human too...just that I never knew any of them doing it, that's all :)

Yd, you sure sounds like a GOOD prefects :p Imagine now you can, or maybe, confiscating cell phones!

Scared nearly to death? Over statement...you are just a little over reacting, hehe...What do you mean don't get any idea? It hasn't change for ages! Come on! :)))

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

eh, how much you got for ang pow? they said sharing is caring! :D

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Zach Reza said...

wonderful CNY stories :)
Your pictures are always brilliant.
Eh did u bring any kuih kapit for me ah?

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

nurul…
Hehe! I can only give you some clue! Not much really! All adds up to about the cost of renting a room in KL for a month. :) I wonder of doctor get ang pow from patient during CNY? Kalau macam tu, kaya lar! Haha! :p

zack...
Kuih kapit for you, love letter for Aresha? Same kuih different name, Hehe! Have plenty! We shall meet up sometime for eating and borak-borak, hmmm :p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home