Sunday, December 04, 2005

Maria's Delight

"Here are so different," in her usual cool looking face, Maria (Mah-ghi-ya) express her first impression on KL after she came back from her recent trip to India, Nepal, Cambodia, Thailand and Laos. No so different, though, when we trapped in the traffic jam not long afterwards.

But overall, Asia was indeed a different world compare to European country, or Germany. All highways in Malaysia, for instance, had a speed limit of 110km/hr. Some highway in Germany - - Depends on car model, plus your guts. IKEA home furnishing store targeted family here, but majority of the customers in Germany IKEA are college students. German pay high taxes, but amazingly, educations till tertiary levels are provided by government, almost free of charge. Things are easier when you are not multi-cultured? Who knows!


I think it's going to be my habit to show my new or foreign friends around FRIM, Couchsurfer or not! Sometime it's different if you have visitors who are totally new to our climate, hence tropical rain forest. Like someone who lives in rural area eager to step into the city, breathing different kind of air. What I am about to say in the next minutes always evolved around the guests, their reaction, their questions. Experience told me city dwellers are not surprised by daily traffic jam. If only they knew how, why, when, who and where.

Maria didn't take many photos during the whole 2 hours trek to the canopy, maybe she wanted to save some bytes. While some guests will just shot at what I highlight to them, Maria took some angle that I've never thought of: Children on the wooden bridge, with the forest as the backdrop. Next time, I will really try to look back for i might missed something!


Back in city, I show her around China Town, ever famous Petronas Twin Towers, and Central Market. I personal favorites are the fellow street guitarist, occasionally performing outside of Central Market building. I've been around the city for years now, but I suppose these two guys are from those few guys, too. Some of our local band like OAG, Innuendo, etc. are not bad at all, its pity that local support are not strong and what else, pirated maker are slowly killing everyone. Demand and supply, we are all guilty as charged?


And sure enough, I’ve recently attended Malay’s wedding, Chinese’s wedding, an Indian wedding in Pandamaran, Klang come just in time to complete my experience, or rather, photos. Apa, my friend Siva’s father knew I would loved to come. For the food, the photos, the cultural show, live!

We come rather early to catch some highlights of the wedding ceremony, including the bride’s brother putting a ring onto his future brother-in-law’s toe. It’s like saying: "We now accept you as our family member."


All the ceremony was supervised by a monk, including the never ending chanting and prayers. Usually the ceremony will be held in a local temple, but culture changed from time to time. Maria pointed out that some guests are not so concentrated on the ceremony itself, unlike the wedding back in Germany, where newly wed couples are very much the center of attention, all the time.

I know why. I am hungry, too!


Next, the bride will finally join the groom.

How long to go? I asked Siva. I don’t remember having anything for breakfast this morning, and she request me to be in her house by 9.30 a.m. I sincerely thought that this is a breakfast then wedding ceremony, sham on me, and poor Maria!

Halfway is definitely not a good answer. But that’s totally different story if you are surrounded with people dressed in traditional cloths, strong jasmine scent, with some kids running around the well-decorated hall, and a camera!


When the newly wed couples finally pray along side with their parents, I knew that time is almost up. I move closer for my final shots. This is about when I notice the electronic display bar above them, the only thing that I felt inappropriate for this occasion. But hell, it’s tells us something, right?


It must be a bit too spicy for Maria, nevertheless the food are still really good! Siva is lucky because she gets eat with us first; leaving her parents chatting with other close relatives and invited guests. It will be deem impolite, if the host eat before the guests.


The day comes to an end after Maria and I had yet another food feast at a hawker’s center, near my apartment. Outside my balcony I took a picture of a construction site with sunset, with some motionless tower cranes left hanging in the mid air. As Maria keeps building her own travel experience, I prayed the best for her!

I’ll see you in the Black Forest!

13 Comments:

At 1:42 AM, Blogger YD said...

Another life adventure of Low! Bravo! once again, this fella has done a brilliant job showing the best of Msia to guests.

I haven't attended Indian's wedding before, only been to Sikh's one. (the grooms carried sword! cool! (well, tradition purpose of course)) So this post really brings me some new experience. thanks for sharing!

I remembered hearing from my friend some tradition about sprinkling rice grains and flower petals over the bride and groom for good fortune. Is it still carried out?

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

That's my first-ever look at an Indian wedding. So far I have only seen Christian, American secular (but still based on Christian), Shinto, and (Japanese) Buddhist. I'm curious to see/hear what other kinds of traditional ceremonies are like.

I've got to hand it to you, Low: you're giving me quite an informative tour from my desktop! (Of course, there's no substitute for first-hand experience...)

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger HappySurfer said...

Low, another good read. Thanks. I've only been to an Indian wedding once. It was an enlightening experience - completely different from a Malay and a Chinese wedding although all are equally colourful and interesting.

Talk about weddings, this little comical story came to mind. This was related by a friend. At a Malay wedding, (those days) normally the portion of food is fixed as in four pieces of chicken for four guests - of course plus other dishes. At this particular table, this chap just kept the entire plate (of chicken) to himself leaving the other three gaping unbelievably. These days, food is served buffet style.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

yd...
Sikh's wedding! That's was really interesting! I guess we have 0.3% Sikh out of our country's population, it's interesting to see them in turban!

Well of course the coloured rice grains plus flower petals sprinkling thingy are very much still alive, just that it happend too fast this time! I'm busying snapping photos at the edge of the hall :p

Moody...
Well thanks again, my friend. I'm glad that you found it interesting. Best things in live are shared, no? :)

Even if we have Christian wedding here but i guess i can't compare in with those in the west. We'll see :) Local culture plays a vital role to all these ceremonies, that we are evolving but hardly aware of it.

Malaysian will said:"That's normal lar!" :p

happysurfer...
Thanks for sharing, my friend. Glad to have reader who always have something to share :p Funny chap, really!

Now even the Malays prefer buffet style. Good thing is you still can see a lot of kenduri in rural places.

While i thought i saw it colourful all, i actually still have SOME wedding ceremories pending: Sikh, Baba-Nyonya, Iban, Kadazan, Semai, Christian, Kantonese, Hakka...

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger HappySurfer said...

And don't forget Chinese wedding - your own. ;)

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Pinkity said...

That's nice! I would like to see an Indian wedding too but unfortunately, I have not much Indian friends. Plus, the Indian friends I have now, are married. Sheeshh...

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

happysurfer...
Now that, you have to be really really patient...until it finally happend! :p

pinkity...
Get more friends, pinky dear. Married an indian, or just simply walked into an ongoing wedding ceremory, hehe!

Nice to see you here, thanks :p

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Pandabonium said...

As the great American newspaperman H L Mencken (1880 - 1956) said, "Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who would want to live in an institution?"

Still the ceremonies that various cultures come up with to commemorate this insanity, UH...I mean well....

OK, so I am not fond of the concept. But the ceremonies are interesting and colorful. As long as I am not the groom, I love weddings. arr arr arr

On a brighter note, I like the idea of taking your visitors to FRIM. I hope it opens their eyes to what is the real world and why it matters.

 
At 3:55 AM, Blogger YD said...

hehehe.. panda, K must be a wonderful lady to keep u in the institution! my salute and respect to her! hahaha... way to go K!

p/s: remember ur promise for Canon in D during mine. :-P

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Pandabonium said...

YD - the institution is a useful leagal and social fiction at times, but doesn't have anything to do with our real relationships. Which is simply to say that a piece of paper and a party do not make a lasting, healthy relationship - only the two people involved can do that. I just resent the government or society defining that relationship for us.

K really likes your comment though, and had a good laugh at my expense. You women always seem to stick together. :P

I won't forget Cannon in D for you. That music first hooked me on reading your blogs - the excellent content in words and pictures keeps me coming back.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger YD said...

unfortunately, something is wrong with the music link for Canon in D right now... something with the server i think..

Women do stick together, because they understand one another, and because they understand men. hahahaha...

oops.. i think i just accidentally launch an attack on a bunch of males in this blog circle...

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

YD, you just opened up a can of worms, and the men are looking for their fishing poles...

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Oh Pandabonium, stop digging yd else she will attack more males like moody... hehe!

I'll be off for a waterfalls trip tomorrow, hope it's a good one!

See you guys later! And, um, and girls! :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home