Saturday, November 05, 2005

Pulau Pangkor : Bicycle Trip

I nearly overslept, thanks to Si Hau who woke me up around 5p.m. “Perfect time for bicycle outing!” he said. Xiao Chen’s family didn’t own any bicycle. To solve my problem she crossed the half paved road to her neighbor’s house (apparently, one of her student’s) , walked back with a Mountain Bicycle!

“Pangkor is a really small island, don’t worry!” she told me that, yet again. So off I go, don’t even bodered about map, timing, or even drinking water. “There’s only one main road circulating the island, you won’t get lost for sure!” I thought she told me that sometime, somewhere…


It’s not too difficult to locate Xiao Chen’s house, Kim Chooi Estate off Jalan Pasir Bogak. We actually walked back to her house, about 5 minutes away from the jetty. One obvious landmark must be this school, Sekolah Kebangsaan Seri Pangkor, the first building I saw once cycle out of her housing area.


While most of the Chinese population concentrated at the town area, like those fishers and prawns, the other races seems to have their place on the small island. Minutes into my journey I came across a group of Indian kids playing what i would regard as “broomstick-game”.

Yes, all you need is 2 broomsticks, a long (1 feet) and a short (5 inches) one, an open ground and few crazy kids. Kids like me, 10, 15 years back! It’s amazing that I saw them playing it here, now. I’ve spent some time observing them playing the game, all looks too similar to our-style, maybe it’s uniquely a Perakian game? Or my Indian friends married a Pangkor girls, taught his kids to play this game?

I really wish to play with them, or learn from them. Honestly I’ve forgotten some part of the game, haha! But i don’t want to miss the sunset ahead of me, so I need to move on…


Cycle past some resorts, most of them concentrated on the south-west side of the island. See that pinkish little van? That’s tourist taxi, there must be some 80 of them, according to Uncle Goh. Perhaps when someone is too old to fish, they will turn taxi driver. But do we need hundreds more? What if there is no more tourist?


Sometime we like to fly. Take on four wheel drive or speeding in motorcycle. And, miss this! I couldn’t help but stopping by to take this shot, near Nipah Bay. Sometime it’s not the skills that matters, you just need to be there, at the right place, right time.

Many writers and photographers said every sunset will give you different feeling, different view. Today I’ll be happy to take home this one :)


Not all sights are pleasing, though. I guess I’ve seen at least “ruins” like this along the main road, west side of the island. Not to mention some landside, pretty scary considering the rainy season has just started. I wouldn’t want to complain about the poor workmanship on the road pavement, bad concrete grade on the retaining wall, or they just bricked up the thing…

Forces of nature.


And I imagining Lrong Lim

It’s blessing when you don’t have to pack yourself in an air-conditioned car, stuck in the heavy traffic jam while driving to work. Alright, it will rain, but we can still find other solutions. But back in Kuala Lumpur, you’ll still stuck in the jam, during daily peak hour. Rain, along with some flashfloods, will turned Kuala Lumpur into a huge carpark.


Mat can simply means “brother” or “mate”, a Malaysian slang. Just in case if you are wondering, Mat Salleh means foreigner, particularly for white American, European, Australian, etc. I'm not sure why myself, but for as long as i could remember, Mat Salleh is Mat Salleh :)


Here is about where when Xiao Chen called me. “Maybe you should turn back, it’s getting late. You’re only half way to the town and the road will be getting tougher.” Sure enough, the terrain along Teluk Dalam stretch is one of the toughest, will up and down hill slope to 45 degree. I finish the last 2 km “borrowing” lights from the motorcycle and car travel along the road. Street lights, if I am lucky.

“Ok, I got it.” That’s how I answered her, actually.


Back home, I found myself watching EPL match with Uncle Goh, after a cooling shower.

This whole trip…couldn’t be better!

16 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger gus said...

Man you must have had a great time! Ive been to pangkor meself. It was back in my uni years in USM Tronoh, Perak. I was there with several buddies, guys and gals. Didn't cycle the island though. We went snorkelling, kayaking and just strolling at nipah bay. At night after dinner we got the best seats to gaze at the starry night sky; on the beach, sitting and lying. We borak sampai pagi. We even caught glimpses of shooting stars. Ahh...such fun

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Robin CHAN said...

Nice shots and nice blog too.

Wonder why I did not see those scenes when I was there last year.

Robin

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

An adventure in your own (or at least your relatives') backyard, so to speak! That's amazing.

Are washouts like that a common thing there?

 
At 2:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahah .. hey som of yr shots are awesome!! nice angle and color.. but not as sharp =P not bad at all eh... got talent..
=)

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

agus...
Yeah, it was one of my best trip to the island :) Next time i might want to do some trekking, there is a canopy bridge somewhere, pretty left out, i guess.

robin...
Thanks for dropping by man!

I'm sure i've missed something in Singapore as well, my annual visits usually ends up in Queenstown only, haha! Too bad my Couchsurfing thingy in Singapore didn't worked out, or just not yet? :p

But i like the Katong Laksa, probably the only food that we can't find it in Malaysia! :)

Moody...
Adventure for me, normal life routine for them. That's the amazing part :p

From what i've observed, washouts only occurs on that part of the island. Else where houses are on stilts or road pavement are on higher level, as so some distance away from the sea tide.

Man-made trouble, man-made error, man-made horror.:)

Geeeeeeeeee...
TQ :p Blur because of the sea water stain on my camera lense! Water splashes everywhere when you are on the small boat.

So do STAR wanted to hire a part-time photo-journalist? Hehe...

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger S said...

that was an amazing post, Low. Your photos are fabulous. I think that stick game the kids were playing was the Indian "Gulli Danda," where you hit the smaller stick with the bigger one like in cricket or baseball (i.e. the smaller stick doubles up as the ball) :)

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Pandabonium said...

I love cycling. You cover more ground than on foot, yet see so much more than by car. How far did you get? Do you know how long it would take to circle the island?

Great trip, Low. I'm glad I get to share it, if only second hand.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger HappySurfer said...

What an enjoyable tour. Thanks. I'll know what to look out for when I visit. As usual, such nice
and enlightening pictures.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

s...
Thanks for the description, s! Glad that it reminds you something, haha! I'll remember Gulli Danda now :p

Now, i need to find some crazy people to play with me, again! I'll count you as one? Hehe! :)

Pandabonium...
Thanks, my dear friend! You'll get your first hand, if you wanted to :)

7 km and Xiao Chen told me i'm half way to town(Pekan), her housing area again. So i guess i've cycle about 15km to circle the island.

For you information, the journey took me 2 hours, thanks and no thanks to the wonderful people and scenery along the way, and, my camera! :)

Happysurfer...
Sama-sama, my friend!

I am happy that you find it helpful, becuase i can't tell you which resort is cheaper, offer better service :p

Back in my hometown, Perak, I don't see any kids playing that stick game anymore. So it's really nice to see them playing it here!

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Pandabonium said...

"... thanks and no thanks to the wonderful people and scenery along the way, and, my camera!"

That's what it's all about. ;^)

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Must be really fun to cycle around Pangkor... hmmm, maybe I should head there one day too...

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Pandabonium...
Nicely put, my friend! :)

lrong...
Yeah it was really good! I'm sure you will like it :)

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger S said...

sure thing, i'm the craziest indian i know by far, so you can count me in, in your next game of gulli danda.. haha.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Craziest? I felt honoured! Welcome to the league of crazy people! :p So until we meet in person, keep up to good works, hehe! :)

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger YD said...

LOW! you are simply....
AMAZING!!!

your account of pangkor trip is simply great! I have been to pangkor for many times but i haven't come up with such great adventure story..

broomstick game! my childhood game too! we called it batang-batang actually... hehe..what a weird name we thought of.

well, about being at the right place at the right time, i think we need a right person who can manage to take down the photo too, like you! you are a great photographer, Low

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Thanks..i am simply...me, i guess :p

I am lucky, in a sense that i have Uncle Goh and his family to host me. I felt like living in Pangkor Island for a minute! Maybe that's the difference between touring, traveling, and living experience!

Batang-batang, that reminds me of something! So someone in Kedah played it too! What a discovery :) Now i have a new team member, no? Hehe!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home