Friday, November 04, 2005

Pulau Pangkor : "Fishman" Begins

On the move again.

I've been to Pulau Pangkor few times, mainly fun sight seeing, hide and seek, fun and it's done. Basically it depends on whom you are going there with, and when. While i enjoyed being a traveller, or even a normal tourist, sometime i wish i could live there, rather than just stay there.

Months earlier, I made arrangement with Xiao Zhen, a cheerful lady friend of mine, who is a homegrown Pangkor islander. Being one of the few young teacher in the island, she seems to understand my request and sort of like agreed with it. My request? Take a ride with her fisherman father, Uncle Goh, be a "fishman" for a day!

Luck is just by my side when Shi Hau, her fiance, was about to send her back to the island after a week long holiday in Johor state. I'll need to do a RM1.40 trip down to busy Petaling Street to meet them up, before heads up north to Bidor, Teluk Intan and Lumut, from which we will take 30 minutes ferry ride to the island.

Lucky as i am, i'll use 8 shots to tell the first section of my journey, from KL to Pangkor.


It took us one and a half hour to reach Bidor town, small town turned-busy during festival seasons. Most people who travel up north will probably stop by to take a break, buy some local food and souvenirs. We took our late lunch here, by the road side, Malaysian style!


Right infront of our table we saw this old nanny, working on her own food stall. I like the pre-war buildings, like the old trishaw bicycle, and curious about what "Kodak : Ready in 30 Minutes" means to her...


As we walk around, i notice this bicycle repair shop, pretty much exist in every single small towns throughout Malaysia. If you can draw a diagonal line on the photo, from upper-left end to lower-right end, you will see something different. Dull 70's on the right, colourful 90's on the left.


Bidor town is famous for, among few other thing like local food, and it's seedless guava. "Try it if you don't belive it!" she said :)


Typical layout of a small town in Malaysia. At a first glance i felt like i'm home! But as soon as i found out i know no one on the street and saw no shops that's familiar to me, opss...:p


We didn't stop by Teluk Intan, since we have to rush for the last boat service to the island, 8.30p.m. Lumut town underwent a big change itself, all thanks to the tourism business.


I was planning to have one of these door in my house, in the future. I don't think there's any thieve in world would have thought of this door, in a house!


We had our late dinner in the island, sea foods, why not :) The restaurant owner making a point by displaying all the postcards sent to him by foreign visitors. Any of them from fellow Malaysian traveller, i wonders? :)


At night, i hardly sleep well, even if i know i need to get up by 6 a.m. in the next day. I am curious to know if i will get seasick tomorrow, i guess :)

10 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Blogger YD said...

Hey! I can't wait for the next day of your trip! Waiting for the next post on your fishman day!
*^_^*

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Hope you are not too groggy to write...

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger HappySurfer said...

Enjoying the tour so far. Looking forward to the continuation. :)

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

yd, happysurfer...
Thank you for the "mental" support, haha! I still trying to figure out which photo to post really...

jessie...
TQ...i will be photographer, someday, sometime, maybe. At this moment, i am, well, stucked with my current life, hehe!

lrong...
Actually i tried to write some notes on the small boat as my "shi-fu" keep talking and talking...just that i can't read my own writing afterwards! No a good idea! :p

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Pandabonium said...

I knew we could count on you for great pics and narative.

Too late now, but for sea sickness prevention, I recommend eating a bit of ginger before the boat trip. Sliced pickled ginger works well if it is available.

As for taking pictures, you ARE a pro at photography, LOW, you're just getting paid for it. :^)

That door looks like it's from a submarine.

Seedless guava. Wow, it looks very strange. I had lots of guava in my yard in Hawaii, but they were small, round, yellow fruit on a vine. Pink inside. I wonder if they taste the same?

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger S said...

how fun! waiting to hear how the next day went... hopefully you didn't get sea sick! :) great pics.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Dear Pandabonium...

Thanks for the ginger tips, it's not too late after all, i will be going back again, for sure :)

And i'm flattered! Pro or not, i think i'll be happy to take more pictures, recording my life experience while sharing it with everyone here! May not be that fun if it's actually a task, given by my boss!

Hmm...submarine? I thought of that too, perhaps we don't need a door like that on a small boat...

As for the pinkish guava, i used to have one in my backyard when i'm still a kid. Much smaller fruit, as green as it's leave, as hard as it's trunk! Native non-commercial plants, i guess.

s!
I can only tell you that i am o.k. for the first couple of hours, then felt sick for about an hour before feeling alright again, haha! Thanks and i'll be back soon, hehe...

littlebird...
Thanks for dropping by, and also for the description of seedless guava's taste :)

I've recently tried guava juice, chilled, under the hot sun...what can i say, perfect! :p

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger JoeC said...

wowo, very local, very nice... cheers then!

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

Nice narrative, Low! I'm looking forward to your next adventure with bated (baited?) breath!

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Belle said...

Hey ...nice to meet you. I accidentally jump into your blog and realised you knew Shi Hau and also you are staying at Kepong. Actually Shi hau is good friend of my younger brother See Heng, I am his sister we are all staying at Kepong and we are all from the lovely Pangkor Island.Hope you enjoyed the trip, nothing much just drop by to say Hi...

Belle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home