Saturday, December 31, 2005

Flot!

Every year starts with new dreams.

This reminds me of one particular scene in Miss Congeniality, where Gracie Hart (Sandra Bullock), an undercover FBI agent who finally and surprisingly won the beauty pageant title, when asked about her dream, somehow obligated and compelled to say:"World Peace!" Except for few people, no one really knows that she is actually doing her very part to keep the neighborhood peace and in order. Honestly, in that kind of situation and occasion, you can't say things like "I wish my father will quit smoking", even if you really wish to.

Well, that's in the movie. What about me?

Like most adults, I woke up and can't remember yesterday night's dream. And I don't dream as much as I do now compare to when I was still a naive kid. I mostly had bad dreams after I had my first kid-fight, stole the first rambutan, lost in some gasing game, get my first wound falling off my 3-wheeled bicycle…

Funny thing is I seem to wake up in time, say, before i dash into that 3 feet deep drain in front of my house together with my bicycle, again. My heart was beating 120/minute when I opened my eyes and think: Lucky! Not again!!!! Growing into teens, mother's timing was perfect to wake in up seconds before I kiss my dream girls, like she knew what's in my dream: Hey, you are too young for that! Now I knew why I don't seem to enjoy my breakfast sometime...not again!!! How Unlucky!

Into late teens, finished high school, enrolled into university, in love. Day dreaming or not I'm dreaming of her, before going out if love again. And love again. And...I hardly had bad dreams, since I'm lucky as a not-so-outstanding guy but still-have-some-attractions. I enjoyed new friends, sports, outdoors, endless times of movies and hanging out sessions and learning, knowing new things about everything under the sun.

Going into adult years, I realize that everyone have their own different dreams. Sis wanted to be a nurse, some friends thought Pink Floyd is not cool at all, while others believe the river and mountains in my small town will be always clean, free-flowing and forever green. I begun to accept my families, my friends, and everyone that I met with open hearts, and as there are, including myself. I understand that we always had dreams, good and bad. And dreams don't just come to me anymore. It's something that I have to search, for.

But again, nothing is impossible, as such that we still shared some similar dreams. We wish everyone healthy and to have happy life. Father to son, daughter to mother, siblings, friends, lovers, we all do.

So, what about me, my dreams? It’s not all that important sometime, no? :p

Anyway, this year has been superb.

Lets start with, umm, family.

Two sis and I moved into an apartment together as the year start, 2 years after working in the same city but living apart. I felt much like home now, having sis nagging me once a while to mop the bloody hairy floor. Including those of mine! When mother's here, not only that she help sis to do so on me, everyone else will kena (apparently, she had too much to share with us all)! Father will drop by sometime, or many times. I have 2 close aunts living in the same area, helps and warm welcome are just some 5, 10 minutes away. Maybe for them "troubles" are just too close to be good, hehe! I had finally written and exchange some letters with my Uncle back in Hainan island, China. My beloved grandpa's brother will be definitely delighted to know that my father, my aunts and few others are going back to visit them all in Hainan, next year.

Friends?

In general, in five simple words: Truly Malaysia, truly without boundaries.

Japan's trip in February was seemingly inevitable, like a continuation of my Japanese language classes some year back in university. Sometime I felt pity to have lost contact with most of my Malay, Indian and some Chinese friends in high school and university. But volunteering works opens up the door. And through various other channels, it keeps coming: Asia, Europe or North/South America. I've been spending most of my time mailing, communicating, learning, understand and working with them. Wonderful! Not forgetting my online friends, particularly fellow bloggers. Thanks for everything, my dear friends! I know you are there, and until we meet again...

And I'll keep my mind open for anything at all, my doors open for anyone at all. Well, golden rules apply, though. :)

Careers.

After almost 3 years, I finally decided to leave my previous company for good. I had been patient enough, I guess. For some reason, I would like to say that if you don't treat me as a professional, I don't see why I should treat you so. Kindly leave the office, if there's really nothing else to do. Sun is good and forest is green out there. Right now, I'm fortunate to find myself a new company with good working environment. It's not a perfect working culture that I'm looking for, but it's the best I've seen and experienced, so far. Hopefully I'll achieve something in the next few years. Well, that is, if I'm still an engineer. Opss...We all are, professional, anyway.

Frankly speaking, things in lives are much easier if all you need is just to accumulate more money, for yourself. I can't imagine doing just that, comparing just that, by staying away from some so-called untouchable, unreadable, unthinkable and unreachable people and culture. Of course, the choice is yours, like having such hectic lifestyle that you don't know who your neighbor is. I'm still obligated to some local culture and social peer, that's just Chinese, I would say.

On the other hand, I'm trying to find more "little people" along the way, one at a time. I still believe the possibility of the perfect mix of old and new, east and west, black and white, sun and the sea. I mean it has to be, as eventually, every country in the world will be multi-racial, multi-cultural. I live in one, but in some extreme cases, I would rather be comfortably dumb.

Back to my apartment, Randi circles the tiny Perhentian island in the map and wrote a Danish word besides it: Flot! I'm about to circle the whole of 2005 and wrote the same thing, deep in my heart.

Simply a fine, splendid and good 2005! Flot!!!

May the best have yet to come!

Happy New Year, everyone!!!

World Peace! *uh-huh?* :)

12 Comments:

At 12:23 AM, Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

That was a marvelous post to ring in the new year, Low! Happy New Year, and thanks for the pin!

Actually, dreams continue to be a significant if problematic part of my life.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Pandabonium said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Pandabonium said...

Nice post, Low. New Years is a good time to think about how our lives are constantly changing and where we have been and where are heading. As when sailing, it is good look back at your wake to see if you are steering the course straight in the direction you want to go.

I can count on one hand the friends I still have from high school and college, but that may not be such a bad thing. We grow and change and our associations with other people do as well. Sadly, I have lost some prematurely. Those that have survived and still matter to us decades later are all the more precious.

Thanks for sharing your self-refleciton. Make it a wonderful new year.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger YD said...

Happy New Year, Low!

and Happy Dog Year too!

May you be blessed with happiness and health always.

hey, i fell off my 3-wheeled bicycle too! I wonder how i did that... mum was soooo worried that time, cuz i was speeding ahead with the tricycle, and mum, pregnant with my bro, was trying to catch up with me. and the next thing i knew, i was on the floor with the tricycle over me.

(standing in the corner facing the wall remorsing)

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Happy New Year!

It's good to have Moody, Pandabonium and YD on board in the same time! :)

I was trying to sum up my 2005 myself so you are more than welcome, Moody! Well let just say not problematic at all, if you like (to do) something very much. I'm sure you will enjoy 2006 as much as 2005! Can't wait for more adventure from you :p

I thought I heard "As when flying a plane, it is good to..." Haha! Sometime it is amazing, when you look back, it all seems so far away, yet so close. I wonder what will happen after decades, but right now, I prayed for the best for you and your family, Pandabonium my friend!

Not yet a "Dog" year, i guess? Oh, but it's coming, very soon! I hope YD will not missed Chinese New Year at home much, end of the month...opss :p Sounds like you are as clumsy as me, hehe! I remember i cried everytime after i fell, swear not to do so again.

Of course, i'm on the wheel soon after i dried my tears...suddenly i felt like cycling again, haha!

Let's hope for a good DOGGY!!!

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Robin CHAN said...

Happy New Year and may all your hopes, dreams and fantasy come true in 2006.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

robin...
Thank you! Happy New Year to you too! All the best!

Emmy_chang...
Hai hai! Arigatou!!!

Problem with me is sometime i am not sure if it's day-dreaming or not, hehe! That song sure helps me on that! :p

良いお年を迎えてね!!!

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger HappySurfer said...

Low, a great post - thanks for sharing. May the new year bring you everything you wish for. Happy New Year.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Francis Ho said...

Here's wishing you all the best in 2006! have a Happy New Year!

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Thanks for the wishes, happy, fh20. Now, i wish everyone Happy Chinese New Year in advance :)

Bia!!!
Arigatouu!!! :)))

You mean explain feelings in simple words :) Maybe it will be better if I use a little Malay, Mandarine, Cantonise, Japanese....someday Spanish??? Jajajaja...

I like your blog!!! You are right, the most important thing is communication, languages used is secondary. Other than that we can use picture, sign, music, dance, food...wow! Haha!!!

And it's my pleasure to know you! Kochira Koso!! Encantado de conocerlo!!! :)))

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger bonnie said...

aha, is halfway between a good time to wish you Happy New Year, both kinds? I think so! Hau'oli Makahiki Hou, all the way from Brooklyn (yo, yo, yougottaproblem widdat?)

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

There is no good time or bad time, but good wishes or better wishes :) So thank you!

And i thought they speak mainly English in Brooklyn? Hell ain't no problem anyway, just need some booze to start with, maybe :)))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home