Saturday, February 11, 2006

CNY's Five

Mingming’s tag comes in timely as I am figuring out how summarize the CNY. Knowing that I couldn’t possibly post everything that I’ve done, five incidents that happened during CNY (五件发生在新年的事) will be most appropriate and sufficient.

I sincerely hope these five pictures will turn into five different posts, if I have more time to do so later. For now, have appetizer...

Jogging


Believe it or not, the first thing that I do, on the first day of CNY, is jogging! Actually I am rather worried because it’s been couples of week since I last dribbling on the court, due to heavy work schedule (yeah right). I just have to convince myself that I will not struck by stroke halfway into the track.

Five minutes into my journey and I feel better and better. So does my camera!

Visiting Grandparents


We have been visiting our grandparents since I was a kid, an annual gathering of all 12 (yes 12, not 11!) uncles and aunties (my mother’s side) along with dozens of my cousins. Surprisingly, most of my uncles are now lived in Singapore, down south while my grandparents’ lives up north in Prai, some 8 hours drive away. We had a simply birthday party for both elderly, which makes this visit more memorable.

It reminds me to visit them more often, not only during the CNY. I like traveling anyway, plus most of the foods up north are fantastic!

Hiking in Taping


This is probably the only town in Malaysia named after a Mandarin name: 太平, or Everlasting Peace. About 20 minutes drive from where I live, usually I will come here looking for food. This time though, Nina and I are here to hike Maxwell Hill (Bukit Larut). Our mission this time is to do some survey at Tea Garden (656m), which is about two-third of the way to the peak. The whole journey took about 7.5 miles and it was rather long for what I first assumed to be an easy and short hike.

Nina will have to think twice next time when I say something like “Just couple hours of hike only!” Sorry and thanks, my friend!

Friends Gathering


House visiting is a must, for everyone. This is probably the only time of the year that you will see everyone. I mean EVERYONE. I have been living at the town area and later in some housing garden, not really in the New Village, 新村(Kampung Baru) at all. CNY is the best time as house visiting is a good reason to stroll around the neighborhood once formed by British government to fight guerrilla militant, only to remain as our very unique cultural feature.

This gathering could leads to another agenda, which is…

Special Leisure Time Entertainment


What do you do when you feel bored but wanted to stay healthy by not eating profusely all day long? Gamble! I used to think that gambling at any level is not good. Not after I witness the power of MTV, PS 2 and say, Internet? I would rather gamble, enjoy the unproductive and crazy time of my life with my friends out here…

For the record I won that game above (Siamese Black Jack) but eventually lost some RM 60. I knew it, I am just not that type!

Finally experience tell me that we shouldn't just simply tagged anyone, so be it! :)

16 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there!
Seems like you really had fun, but then, who wouldn't visiting family and friends you haven't seen in a while.

I must say, though, that's quite a big family you got, and i thought i had a big family, lol.

Take care and don't work too much :P

See ya!
Janet

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Hola!
Fun is fun, done is done - - back in the real world now :p

Hmm, maybe you should share some story about your BIG family sometime. I can't imagine some 50 people talking only in Spanish LOL

Thanks and I will not overwork, don't worry :) You don't mess with someone's teeth, ok? Hehe!!!

Adios!

Cool HugS :)))

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger HappySurfer said...

Nice post, Low. Interesting hill.

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Food up north is good... can't agree with you more on this...

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Yeah happy, it's interesting if you take jeep up :p

lrong, where you're from again? :)))

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Francis Ho said...

Five Happy Incidents - nice!
Though I'm a cityboy, I love small (smaller) towns!

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Robin CHAN said...

haha... I like your visit to Tai Ping.. Hmm, remind me of my mum wanting to visit temples for good luck sake.

Let me see, in Singapore, any auspicious place or road name to visit?

How about Fortune Centre, where they sell all the computer stuff and make their fortune there..

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

fh2o...
Yeah at first I was looking a better word to replace "incidents", it doesn't sounds good, got pantang a bit.

I guess Kuching is close to a lot of small town, you can "have" small town when you like it :)

robin...
Some people have "temple" in their own house - - they have like dozens of god statues! Still they need to go to temple :p

I would say Queenstown, where I usually hunt for sneakers. They (owner) are queen and I am ??? :)

 
At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahh...Taiping, one of my favorite place. love the lake garden, the museum, Maxwell Hill, eateries, the kuetiow..and also the hospital. such a memorable experience for me.

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

.....and also the HOSPITAL???

Hehe! You will probably confuse some of our readers here, DOC!!! :))) I was borned there, so of course I agree!!!

Eh, jangan-jangan you are the doc who...Well, sorry, you are too young for that! :p

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Pandabonium said...

@low@,

I've read this post three or four times, but not commented yet. 'Don't know why. Perhaps because visiting family is such a personal experience. All the more reason to say something, to thank you for sharing it with us.

The scenery is beautiful, the history is fascinating, and warmth of your family comes right through my computer screen.

Keep up the exercise.

 
At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hiya Low, very nice scenery of kampung, i really miss my chinese friend from semenanjung, ee hope can meet them someday... isk isk sedih especially when chinese new year.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

pandabonium...
Three of four times? Sounds like I need a new post, hehe!!! Coming up in the next 48 hours! lol

Best things in life are shared, I'm sure you agree on that as well, my friend :)

cuthess...
Hi! Thanks for missing me! (well I am a chinese, from semenanjung? :p) Sorry that this CNY post make you sad a bit :(

And I miss my friend from Borneo, they are some really nice people! Let's exchange location sometime :)))

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

Always an adventure for you, even during a family-oriented event like CNY, right, Low? :-)

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Chen said...

Jogging on the first day of CNY?
u r indeed different from the others :)
Keep up the good work.

u have lotsa relatives :) 12 uncles and aunties with their spouses and children..
I can imagine a huge crowd in your grandpa's house :D

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

moody...
I hope that's a compliment, my friend. Life is how you look at it and I'm alright with some excitement in every little events :p But for many, CNY itself is an adventure! :)))

Chen...
In fact, I jogged almost every morning when I'm home, whenever I can. It's a jogging track that you can't duplicate else where :)

Huge crowd, definitely. We used to be in bigger house, but moved close to town since no one there to take care of the olds. And guess what, kids are BIG today! :p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home