Monday, February 20, 2006

FRIM Revisited

Its been a while since I last visited FRIM. I have a hiking trip today but my original plan was somewhere else. To make a long story short, the hiking trip went awry and suddenly I found myself back here again.


Curly woody climbers (liana) found along the rover track


Sounds like a bad day already? Not at all. I always get the good feeling when I am here, joking and chatting with office staffs, helping out my friend at the canopy, hiking into those familiar (yet looks different ever time) trails, giving advice to some lost “souls” (hiker, jogger), feed the Arapaima, … Not to mention meeting some interesting people along the way.


Kumi-san, second from the left


Firstly, Kumi-san and three of her friends. I was chilling with Jamie just outside the public relations office when they walk into the office, get some information regarding the trails, canopy, etc. Anyway as they are about to leave the office, one of them turned back to us, pointing at the “wow” spot on the map. I immediately volunteered to guide them there, since I was about to make my move to the canopy.

From our conversation, it's obvious that Kumi-san is a Japanese expatriate who works and lives in Malaysia. I am surprise that she actually sounds like a Malaysian when she speaks in English. I'm expecting some Japanese-English tone, Japlish but not Manglish, or whatever you might called it. I try my best to speak some simple Japanese, but it's proven again language is, you must speak frequently to really remember it. Two of her friends there were Malaysian/Singaporean, so to be exact there are only two Japanese. I guess you can tell who is who, by their appearance in the photo.

Note that Kumi-san and I are actually wearing the same pouch on our belly! Sugoii ne! Needless to say the whole journey went on well and I am expecting to see them soon. I remember I said douitashimashite twice as we bid farewell on the rover track (they are not going to the canopy). I almost bowed again!

Those trials in front of the ponds will eventually leads hiker back to rover track, at two different exit point. If you take on the second and longer trail you will exit in the further part of rover track, and that's where I spotted Siva and Laura after I left Kumi-san et al.


Laura on the canopy bridge


I am lucky because both of them don't speak in heavy English accents. Or rather, they fine-tuned a bit so that we chat well! At the canopy, Laura clearly enjoys being 30m above ground level, taking her own sweet time on the bridge. The wind is good and there are only six people up here so we could all relax and enjoy the quietness. If there are like 50 people in the queue, I will turn into unfriendly guide, ushering them to move forward, make ways for others!

Originally the canopy bridge are built for the scientist or researcher, who will spent their time studying, observing and recording flora or fauna on the tree tops. The whole 220m span looks rather fragile, hanging from tree to tree, as the twelve inches width wooden plank can only accommodate one person at a time. So its always one way traffic and you will have to keep your distance, say 3 meters away from the person in front of you. The idea is, you stop when the person in front of you stop. But when he/she jumps, please don't do so!


Siva, keeping her distance


I manage to take few shots of Laura enjoying the scenery, while chatting with Siva on the viewing platform, where we can rest, enjoying the city view, taking photos. I am really surprise to find out that Siva is a Hongkee-English mix, and speaks fairly good cantonise. That explains why she looks rather different, not totally blond and of course, her name! Given by here mother, she said SIVA means “remember China”. I am still trying to figure that out, as I dont know the real words for her name in cantonise.

Pardon me but it's a really special experience for me to speak cantonise to someone who looks totally English. Same shock that I get when some of my Malay friend speaks Mandarin/Chinese speak Tamil, vice versa. I just have to look at her mouth, making sure its not some sound from a machine or something. Sorry and thanks, Siva!


Tough guy Yazid


I manage to catch up some gossip with Yazid at the canopy hut. Apparently the canopy walkway will be closed down again for major renovation and repair works, much to my disappointment. Seems like the management did not fully utilize the festival break couples of month ago, knowing that canopy walkway is one of the main attraction for FRIM. I am really really lucky to be here today, else I have to wait for another couple of months. Hopefully they will speed up their works, and we'll have the canopy back again!

19 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Blogger HappySurfer said...

Hello Low, that was really nice. I enjoyed the trip. I've not been there yet but reading your accounts (this and the one earlier) has made me somewhat familiar with the place, which is good so that I will know what to expect. Love the canopy walk. I shall not miss it when I visit. Thanks so much for sharing.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Pandabonium said...

Omoshirokatta desu! (that was interesting)

Wow, it looks likes so much fun and so beautiful. I'd really like you to guide K and I.

I thought Arapaima were from South America. You have them there? How big do they get?

Cool post. As usual.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

happy...
As usual, I'm glad that you like what you saw, and felt :) Do drop by some time to get some fresh air! And if you need my help, I guess you'll know how to find me :p

pandabonium...
Omoshiroii deshoi! :p

Of coure I'll be ready if you and K were to visit! FRIM is popular because of it's close proximity to the city centre (16km), relatively short trails (4 hours relaxed round trip) to experience tropical rain forest and refreshing mountain stream. If you are lucky, you will found eagles (mostly yellow crested serpent-eagle) playing the warm noon air, timely when you arrived at the canopy.

The only setback must be lack (I mean none!) of public transport to FRIM, from KL. Everyone's problem in this city, basically.

We have 4 of those Brazilian freshwater fish, 4 to 5 feet? Well if some exotic endangered banned flora and fauna seems to travel everywhere freely, certainly these Arapaimas wasn't a problem at all.

From what I heard some generous chap donate those fish, along with arowana, turtles, etc. and released them into the x-mining pond some years ago.

Including some pets abandoned by their owners, I guess.

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

Face it, Low: your fate is hopelessly intertwined with FRIM. You are attached to it, and you are fated to be one of its (on and off) attractions forever!

Frankly, I envy you that.

 
At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the canopy bridge...reminds me of the one in Bukit Cahaya Sri Alam in Shah Alam. a bit scary... im scared of height exactly!

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Always wanted to take a look at FRIM but so far, no go... guess none of my buddies are like you who loves to hang out there...

Anyway, as far as I know, 'Hongkee' is not a very polite form to refer to folks from or related to HK... I know of some who dislike being called as such...

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

moody...
Haha! Yeah I guess so. Now that I'm grown up, I need bigger playground, huh? :p I think it's the same enthusiasm you had, for many things, like music?

And I admirer that.

nurul...
What can I say, I'm afraid of blood, hehe! We're at were we are, right? :)

Bukit Cahaya is a nice place too! I think I missed the canopy, though. Shah Alam underwent huge development now, and BC's green lung is under pressure...*sigh*

lrong...
Actually, except for some surprise guest/friend, usually I went to FRIM myself. But I'm sure you can find the same "zen" in the land of rising sun :)

Hongkee -- Yeah it doesn't sound all that friendly, I'm still looking for better replacement. Thanks for reminding me that, will watch out in future post :p

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there!

You know, i keep looking at your pics and it's like looking at pics of my own country. Funny isn't it? I mean, our countries are so far away and have a totally different culture and language yet it's scenery is really similar.

Looking at the Malaysian jungle is like looking at the peruvian jungle with it's high bridges (which i personally would never cross cause i'm terrified of heights) and the beautiful tall trees with lianas hanging all around *sigh* I wish i was there, lol. Hmm, maybe if you win the lottery...maybe, he, he

TTYL
Cheers
Caroliiiina

 
At 3:07 AM, Blogger YD said...

*speechless*
^_^

like the way u capture those moments of peace and tranquility. :-) i remembered telling u abt booking u in summer. now that i will be home after 15 July for a summer break, i think somewhere in August? there will be 2 of us coming along i think... :-)

oh ya, have u been to g.tahan too? any recommendation of good sites? my friends in msia is planning to go during this april.. hope si fu have a few advice. ;-P

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Caroliiiiiina...
Amazing, isn't it? :) I've come to realize that your part of the world seems close to ours: Rich culture, language and of course, food :p

And of course you can find some lianas in Peruvian rain forest, like Manu National Park. But I would rather head for Machu Picchu, first :)))

Oh let's try to win lottery together! rs =)

"Green" hugs
P/S: Sorry that I hold the "i" key for a little longer when I type your name...but it still sounds alright for me, hehe...

yd...
I'm waiting, the canopy are waiting, too. August sounds fantastic, perhaps we can celebrate ID-31 there, hehe...

And, two? Should bring another one else I will feel lonely a bit :p (Just kidding!) I have not hike Tahan but I can get some info from my hiking buddy...I'm far from Si Fu, not every forest is my playground :p

 
At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I see you've been doing some research. Plan on coming soon? Maybe if we win the lottery we can go together to Cuzco, i've been wanting to get back up there for a loooong time.

Oh and don't worry 'bout holding the 'i' key, i'm used to that by now and it's how it sounds anyway.

So, did 'we' win he lottery?

No kisses this time sweetie as i have a cold and you could catch it :P

See ya!
Caroliiiina

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger bonnie said...

This looks incredible.

And warm! Sigh!

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Caroliiiiiiiina...
Doing some homework so that I know what to say when you are here! :p I did some 'calculation', perhaps we will hit lottery some 3 years later ;)

I hope you can wait till that day for your Cuzco trip then :)))

cool hugs, warm kisses (I've taken my jab lol)

bonnie...
Thanks.

Warm hugs to you (spring) when you finally wake up! Happy hibernating :)))

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Robin CHAN said...

hey, you are a tough guy yourself.. being able to do all this..

I have high anxiety.. (secret secret)... Once I was on a rope bridge, walk halfway, and sh*t, I look down.. and the rest is history.

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

3 years?! That's just way too much! I'm afraid i can't wait that long sweetie, i'm going to Cuzco either with you or without you. Of course it would be SO much better with you :D

Hey! Careful with those kisses. I'm still sick =/

*blows kiss*
Caroliiina

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

robin...
I think rope bridge is totally different from this one, no? Of course this will be ok for you! We even allow 7 years old kid ma :p

Caroliiiiina...
Oh dear! I'm so sad now :((( But that's the whole idea, right? Hehe!!! There are so many place to go, Cuzco or not :p

Still sick? Better take care now! :)

hugs...(from behind LOL)

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Francis Ho said...

It's always nice to revisit a familar place and suddenly everything looks new again! Like - for the first time.

Thanks for sharing and I love canopy walks even though I'm still learning to overcome my fear of heights!

 
At 2:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hugs from behind? *looks puzzled*

Yeah, you better keep your distance. This cold won't leave me! I hate so much being sick on summer, i want some ice cream, something cold, anything, but can't =/

And please don't be sad. If you come, whenever that may be, i'll go with you =)

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

fh2o...
Thanks - your wife would be really happy to hear you say this, once a while. You are some guy, man! Hehe!!!

Talk about fear - - Actually I'm afraid of DEEP water, especially in those river/sea that I'm not fimilar with. It doesn't matter if I can swim well, really.

But like every kid (well, or not :p), we tend to forget everything as we jump the waters. Splash!!!!!

AnOmiNus...
Well, from behind - - not face to face with those virus coming out of your nose, eh? :p Maybe it doesn't work that way, at least it's a surprise hug LOL

I think you still can have ice cream, you just need some medicine and more rest. Your body will fight for you while you are dreaming of Cuzco LOL

Oh now it sounds really inviting, Hehe!!! Thank you my dear! I'll be lost without my translator :p But just don't bring me back to the DENTIST!!! HEHE!!!

Un Abrazo (>_<)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home