Saturday, January 20, 2007

Growing with the Years


And that’s about four month old – first post of 2007 should be about ‘updates’ so I thought maybe I can start with the little star in my house, Jenn Yee.

Everyday all of us would kiss goodbye before going to work, and came home teasing her for a while before dinner. It’s amazing to see her growing stronger day by day, as slowly she aware and gains more abilities: turning her head, flapping her legs and arms, smiles, lock her eyes on you and of course, cry!

Sis and mum teamed up for a good reason: Sis is a nurse with irregular working hours so mum will substitute during her night shift. I remember months ago we were still discussing if we should left Jenn Yee to her grandmother – my in-law’s family hundreds of miles away – which I didn’t agree. So I am glad for sis, even though sometimes she would said to mum “this is how modern nurse do it” but I still can sense the essence and knowledge and tradition passed down to her, if not, to all of us.

But nothing can substitute this: Seeing your own child grew, crawl, walk and talk.

Back to myself it is already a busy year – at least for the first couple of months. Time flies when you are busy, unable to slow down to take a breath or take pictures – but sometimes when I’m with camera, I focus more on angles and ISO than ermmm, my guests, hehe.


Anyway it is great to start my year with Kyungsam and friends. For them this is one last trip before the gruesome 2 years in Korean army training/service camp. A place, in Chinese’s saying, living with monks (themselves!) and as Korean puts it, loosing your girlfriend. It’s a shame, North and South Korea are practically still in war: Kyungsam wouldn’t want to patrol the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) – higher possibility to encounter North army. "Ask me to shoot people? It's crazy!" I guess that's what most of us agreed.

But this doesn’t stop them from being creative, enjoying life. I should know better: Fortunate to join Kyungsam and friends in 2 Soju sessions (they were here for two nights) and learn their so-called “drinking game”. I need to wrote in down before I forget it: Baskin Robbins 31, 3-6-9, we-are-stupid-stupid-game, 007-bang, image game…Well obviously Malaysian do not have and drinking game, something they find it hard to understand, haha!

When I talked about taking that freestyle picture above, they take 2 second to understand what I want. Then thank you, I have my picture. I think they will be doing well, army camp or not, certainly. So Kambei!!!


Then came Marc.

We have been communicating for months before his actual departure date: Weather, advice on buying new backpack, travel schedule, souvenirs, about him about me, Malaysian and Dutch.

Like most Dutch (I met 3 so far, anyway) he is tall - not sure how he slept 2 nights on my single bed measured barely 6 feet in length. But that has been my principle: Depends on the numbers of people in my apartment, I can always host him for at least a night or two, let him settle down as I guide him through. After all, compare to my 3-room apartment, the world is bigger outside. One should meet other travelers: Somehow they know the city better, and they know how to go around.

Sometime if you stay static in a place for too long, it squeezes your mind and one become less creative and adventurous as how life should be. But I’m glad it is already a life-changing trip for Marc. As a working professional he has been traveling with many so-called tourist group – that “you have 3 minutes to take pictures in Giza” kinda experience. Not always bad and of course we need tourists and to be a tourist, but like everything else in life, sometime you need a break. Marc is enjoying every minutes of his trip, and I’m sure he will have a blast in New Zealand!

Compare to Marc, my travel plan is not that far, but equally exciting, I hope. I bought my ticket to Macau June last year, months after my parents visit our long lost relatives in Hainan Island, southern China. The plan is: Land in Macau 3 am on the first day of Chinese New Year, spend few days in Hong Kong, then travel to Haikou via Guangzhou, with train.

It all sounds great except I can’t get any direct flight from Haikou to KL, that I have to travel back to Guangzhou – Macau again for my return flight. It’s Chinese New Year and millions of Chinese (including me!) are traveling by public transport, especially trains. There is some uncertainty about traveling with public transport especially during festival season, but that’s part of the adventure, I guess. I hope my bosses will understand when I get stuck in China for one reason or another, haha!

It’s all set now – we human can only plan, but God decides. Or other people decide – For me one of the main purpose of traveling thousand of miles, is to, meet people. It can be my 80 years old grand uncle in Hainan, special-colored-panther (you know who) in Macau, Agnes in Hong Kong and many, many others.


Then, for the experience.

Like living in that old house where my grandpa once lived, in that old village of 30 households. Seeing coconut trees in year-long summer Hainan can be confusing, it’s like our east coast of peninsula Malaysia. Hainan Chicken rice in Hainan? It may not be the similar taste that we are so used to, I’m afraid.

Often we traveled, we returned, and it all felt like a dream. Nothing stays. But if you once lived there, even just for days, the feeling stays. It sounds weird but the truth is, most Asians (like me) do not have the luxury of traveling and you will take every trip seriously – up planning stage, that is. Because when you travel, you will let things happen. And things do happen!

One thing is for sure: I will not miss the Twin Tower outside of my balcony, haha!

17 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First i just gotta say this...Jenn Yee is growing beautifully, that's the cutest smile i've ever seen =)

Ans second, i'm so glad you're having a good rest and a trip to China, hope you enjoy yourself there but...when are you coming to Peru?!!!

Kisses
Caroliiiiina ;P

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Caroliiiiina...
That picture - I was lucky, the sun shrine through the balcony and her mood was good. She usually don't smile for camera! :p

Thank you, I will enjoy the trip, I guess. After that, I will start swimming to Peru! Hehe :)))

Big hugs for you!

 
At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Low!!!

How are you?
I am almost crazy!! hehe I am going to take my master entrance exam tomorrow. Wish me luck. I will need it.
I didnt read all the post.... but one doubt... is Jenn Yee your baby? Or your sister's baby? Because you wrote your in-law's family... so I supposed... :) If yes, your baby, Congratulations!!!!!! :D
Big hug.
Bianca Shibuya

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Bia...
Haha!!! I am not that luck to have a daughter - you can say that (congratulation) to my sister :P

So finally, exam!!! Just take it easy and try your best - afterall it's in your blood :)))

Ganbette ne!

Big big hugs for you!
@LOW@

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger HappySurfer said...

Low, as usual, a good read - a colourful post. That's exactly what it will translate to if it were to be painted. So, you'll be meeting PP during the CNY. Have a great holiday.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger YD said...

ahhh... The trip back to the roots... My turn has not come yet, but I am very happy for you to go to the land where we came from. After I finish my studies, it is time to plan for a trip. Looking forward to another mind-provoking, beautiful post from u.

Jenn Yee is such a cutie pie! It's wonderful to see babies growing, innit?

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Happy...
Thanks, my friend. I sometime wrote silly and naive stuff, but then, won't be fun if you are too careful? Haha!

I'll have a good one, wishing you have a great one too!

YD...
Hey! Cold there? Hugs a someone/tree/lamp post :)

Yeah, I was thinking we can go back together, but you are tooooo far away now, haha...maybe you can tell me which village you're from, I can snap some photos for you - charge in Pound Sterling, hehe...

Wonderful to see her smile and growing...even though she did pee on me sometime :)))

Have a nice day, my friend!

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger YD said...

Hey, that would be great! Thanks! My family is from 才坡村。 My dad and aunt is planning a trip after I come back. I just can't wait for my turn. :-)

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Oh dear, maybe you can tell me which is the nearest city/town from you village? Like my village 湖镜村  is near 文昌市 (South-East from capital 海口). Hainan is a big island, unlike Penang :)))

But maybe in the end I can just take the road sign: 才坡村 - 50公里, hahaha! :p

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger YD said...

Hey, it is near to your hometown! My village is under 文昌市 actually. :-)

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Micha Tomoff said...

High Low! :)

It's good to read about you and wow, you are taking our freestyle-walking pics to a new level: group-freestyle! :) I hope I can take some of those in the near future as well but so long I have to come back to your blow and keep an eye on your ones...

The little Jenn Yee is beautiful... I remember your sister was "about" to have a baby but now it's already happened. Time surely flys by rapidly. Well, just wanted to say hello and send greetings from Germany! I hope you're all good! Greez from Katha as well and hope to hear from you soon again!
Micha

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Pandabonium said...

Jenn Yee - sweetie! As you know (thank you for your comments) I have a new grand child. Hope for the future. If they don't motivate us to do what ever is necessary to make a better world, what could?

Take care my friend.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

yd..
Oh really? That's great! Now I have more story to tell now :p Will try my best to "locate" them, shouldn't be a big problem as we are of similar area. Nice day then!

Micha!!!
Hello!!! It's really nice to hear from you again - it's seems like your travel adventure after KL is even more interesting!

The urge of taking that freestyle photo came just like that - maybe I remember both you and Katha at that moment? I could have ask them to pick up a big leaf if there's any nearby (Katha look nice with big leaf, haha) :) Yeah maybe you should take more photos, it's something relaxing/enjoy to do - I'll be waiting!

Jenn Yee will be happy to hear that - thank you :) Time didn't wait, huh? Send my regards to Katha too! Take good care of her (or opposite? Haha..) and yourself - all the best and keep in touch!

Pandabonium...
Thank you and congratulation again for the new grand child, my friend! It is indeed amazing to see them grew up so fast, always have some unexpected move - some turn out to be inspiring, and like you said, motivating!

Take care and have fun (grand child ;p)

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger YD said...

so u r from there as well? cool! I will ask my dad n perhaps I can come up with more details of my family, if you wish to drop by or something. talk to u in email. :-)

hehe... we are "tong2 xiang1" ah!

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

waah.. hainan ah... never been there yet... that pink colored house looks very 'inviting'... interesting for a photo shoot...

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

yd...
Well, maybe 文昌市 is huge so we may not be that close to each other haha. But yes, "tong2 xiang1" :)

Mail me when you have more information then. Your dad probably know which bus will take him to the village!

lrong...
Hmm Hainan is not too far from you :) I wonder why pink colour - will ask them later, haha...

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger meow yean said...

Cute! Cute! Jenn Yee...
Let me muack muack...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home