Sunday, July 09, 2006

Taiping(太平), Part One – 七十二变

It has been a long, long week but most fortunately interesting one. July 2006 start with surprises, excitement, astonish …it has been brilliant, so far. Maybe because it is my birthday-month – usually a funny month because people who greets me “Happy Birthday” kinda change these couple of years, with only one exception, my insurance agent, haha!!! But amazingly, some greetings can be of far and from most unlikely person. If I could say something here, it will be Terima Kasih, Thank you, Go raibth maith agat, ありがとう, Nandri, 감사합니다, Dank u!

But honestly, it is going back to Taiping again that makes early July such a special moment. Taiping, 太平(tai4 ping2), might well be the first and only town in Malaysia named after a Chinese name – if you read kanji or Chinese, it literarily means “Eternal Peace”. I live all my life some 40 minutes bus ride away from this town. Spent much of my wonderful childhood time here – mostly with grandpa, walking into toy-department, my first KCF meal, or devoured the hot-steamed kacang kuda on our way back, totally unaffected by the uneasy ride in diesel-powered Red&Yellow Omni bus*.

Anyway, the七十二变(qi1 shi2 er3 bian4) or “72 transformations” does not refer to my childhood experience, nor the power of 孙悟空(sun1 wu3 kong1) in “Journey To The West”. I am referring to 72 hair-pin bends one will “enjoy” before reaching the summit of Maxwell Hill, or Bukit Larut, 1250m a.s.l. Believe it or not, this is only my third trip to Maxwell Hill, some 10 years apart. Just had too much of its Lake Garden, clock tower, Matang hawker center, zoo, museum? Haha!

Uphill, most visitors will hang out around 1000m level where most hill resorts are located. Founded some 100 years ago this is the first and oldest hill resort in Malaysia, once a perfect get-away for colonial high-ranked officers where they felt just like home. Home – all thanks to average of 20 degree Celsius uphill, breath-taking clouds shift through the mountains, high concentration of flora and fauna in undisturbed forest. You may not like the 200 inches of rain a year, but its tropical RAIN forest, no?

More later.

*Red &Yellow Omni bus shuffled between Kuala Kangsar and Taiping. Padang Rengas, my hometown, is somewhere in between, but closer to KK.


In the R&Y bus, heading towards town centre. The bus doesn't change a bit. I can even recognize some ticket operator!



Just outside of bus station. Opposite Nagoya Textile House is The Store supermarket. My toy-department :p



Inside Land Rover, looking out. Tea Garden(656m), is where sometimes driver stop over to, well, have some tea :) Experience the ride, HERE!



Speedy bunglow, the highest government-owned resort. Less crowded, closer to the summit (2 km hike)



Jisu, enjoying the view

10 Comments:

At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

=( Still feel bad because i missed it, but there'll be other years to come and who knows maybe one day i'll be able to give you a real Birthday hug...and a kiss too of course ;)

oh, i'm so jealous, there's so much beauty in your pics it makes me wanna catch a plane, lol.

Miss ya!
Caroliiiina

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Pandabonium said...

Have a Happy Birthday!

Nice pictures - that reminds me of Kula, Maui - about the same altitude on the slopes of Haleakala. Nice views.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

Finally a long-awaited LOW POST!!!

Happy birthday, friend! Thanks as always for sharing your colorful pictures and even more colorful experiences!

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Caroliiiina...
Oh it's alright my dear, birthday is just another day for me :p I have the whole America states celebrate for me anyway, hehehe...

You should catch a plane then, I'll bring you somewhere (the hills?) and you'll give me something (hugs?) :)

Take care, miss ya too!

Pandabonium...
Aloha! Thanks my friend! This is indeed as special birthday, I'm having a good time :)

Maui must be an amazing place, mountain of such altitude on an island! I wonder what's it has got to offer behind those tourist hotspots :p

Moody...
Thank you and sorry, my friend! I should have more time to write later, these couple of months are just hectic. Maybe I should leave yd alone when she is back end-July, hehe...

Some of my friend start their mail with "High, LOW!" and now I have "LOW post", interesting! What's next? Haha! And you just can't stop sharing some wonderful stuff, can you? That's the whole idea of blogging :)

 
At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At this moment, it is so funny! I saw your profile at couchsurfing.com, we have so much in common, my birthday is in July, I was born in Taiping, i'm staying in K.L. now, and I want to go to Hong Kong, Taiwan and China via Airasia! Everyone can fly!

p/s: where is padang rengas?

spatialgal

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

spatialgal...
To make it more interesting, actually I was born in Taiping hospital, but of course, grew up in Padang Rengas anyway. Hmm, how come I never thought about this? Hehe I'm closer to my Taiping-lang friend now, no? :p

Where is Padang Rengas? Try to get some idea HERE :) Oh, bty, Happy Birthday!

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger HappySurfer said...

Hi Low, belated Happy Birthday and many, many happy returns of the day. Very nice pictures and enjoyed that short Land Rover ride. hehe..

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Only been to Taiping once... pretty little town, I think...

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Only been to Taiping once... pretty little town, I think...

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Happy...
Thank you! You should try that ride sometime, before everything change :)

lrong...
Just once, wow! Close enough to SP but then, you have Penang and BM? It is pretty, of course! :p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home