Sunday, June 11, 2006

Proost!!!

I've never like the idea of working, working and working. Time flies, like eagle glides from one valley to another above warm afternoon air. I really prefer to hike through them, river by river, step by step. Isn’t life is all about experiencing? Sometime we are not sure if the passion is for, our work or, money, anymore. The world is far more distorted than we thought we knew. We live in a same country with different policies, same city with different social (made-obvious) strata, live in all the nonsense on how well we are doing ignoring the fact that we cannot withstand the full onslaught of many, many basic rights and common sense.

But this is still a wonderful country to live in. Damn.

James would have agreed on this. Fellow Tagalog-tounged teacher was with me during a fast hike to FRIM’s canopy. What amazed him (and now, me) most is how we move (drove) from densely populated concrete jungle in KLCC to fringes of forest reserve some 15 km away. What you saw from the canopy is something like this:


Well, too “see” it you have to replace those concrete-steel-composite-whatever buildings plus highways with canopy trees and hiking trails, via versa. What shocked me when I saw this view from 45th observatories floor of Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office (都庁) is not the overwhelming sophisticated human settlement, but is how they could live with little or no green around them. Where does all the (waste)water goes? How about source of clean drinkable water? Can you actually breathe in there? Perhaps when human finally able to defies the nature behaviors and constrains, it is indeed the end of natural world.

Funny thing is I’m not proud nor happy to tell him the fact that Malaysia’s land made up with of nearly 50% of forest, or probably 60% of green if you include those endless field of oil palm and rubber estates, paddy field, orchard, etc. Simply because, for instance, we have people cried out loud to protest some hill development, but says nothing to vanishing virgin forest deep in the mountain, the real catchments area. Maybe we should start with building one condominium in Taman Negara first. Maybe that will divert our attention and uncover the actual camouflage.

Sorry for James, the hike was indeed fast because I knew we were short of time. What usually took 2 hours to complete we done it well within 80 minutes, including some quick stops over for explanation and catching our breathe while touching, smelling and feeling the nature. You shouldn’t stop for more than 5 minutes and let those lactic acid crumbles on you anyway. Of course, conversation never ceased along the journey, and that’s the fun of it, the joy of hosting first ever visitor from Asia. Truly Asia, this one.


Nonetheless, I wouldn’t say his presence would overshadow a lovely couple from Netherlands, land of dykes, dunes and polders. Not because of the fact that they asked if I wish for anything from them before they came (and hence, the wonderful klompen. Wow!). Not because they, unlike most travelers who are already months into their world tour and will probably follow the Inca-trails in Peruvian mountain after Malaysia, that they will go straight back to Netherlands after 3 weeks (for the first time I feel less sorry for myself). And finally, not just because they quickly settle down well with me and my family soon after their arrival. That's how friendly they are!


Yes, I spent less than 24 hours with Richard and Laura, but I had some fantastic time with them! There we are, first Dutch guests, watching first World Cup 2006 match with their first host, in Malaysia. I always thought hosting a couple would be troublesome until them, a girl who watch football, writes travel logs on Snoopy notebook, and a tall soft-spoken guy who likes to cook and play some awesome guitar. Not Stairway To Heaven, Richard! Why you have to leave so early, oh my…Take if from Richard, he is lucky (Laura and football, obviously) and I am, too, for being able to host them. Hope to see you both in 3 weeks time. Or Amsterdam in 3 years? I have a dream, I guess.

Some encounters are definitely deserved a toast: Proost!!!!!!!

15 Comments:

At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey sweetie, you know, i hate the fact that you've been so busy this month not only cause you're obviously exhausted but because i keep missing you, lol, i know that sounds kinda selfish but you always give me a good start of the day =)

But i'm glad that even with so much work you were able to have some fun and meet some new people for one can never have too many friends.

Oh and i guess you're right, most travelers come here when they make a world tour, the question is, will you?

Cold hugs for you
Caroliiiiina

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Pandabonium said...

Thoughtful post, as usual, Low. We delude ourselves into believing we work for a living, when more often than not we are living to work. The big cities are not designed to be human habitats and were not meant to be. They are engines of commerce and any aspects to make them 'livable' are after thoughts.

Your couch surfing program seems to keep offering great experiences in connecting with wonderful people.

Nice klampen. I want to see a picture of you wearing them. :^)

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Caroliiiina...
Hi there sorry that I'm rather busy recently. Will probably catch up with you soon :p But I thought I'm dragging you late for work? lol

Hmm, tempting question, that one. Let's just say, I would love to do the Inca, so may not have much time for Lima? Hehe! (Just joking :p)

We'll see then? It's a long swim, you know...

warm hugs...

Pandabonium...
Living for work -- that's the job I'm still searching for, actually :p

We'll have cities anyway. We are either in the position to change all that, or in the position to leave all that. I struck the balance. Not sure how "sustainable" it will be, tough :)

Oh yeah CS (not counter-strike, haha) is fantastic and rewarding so far. Want to see me on those clogs? Clue: Search in within my CS profile :)

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

but is how they could live with little or no green around them.

Tokyoites tend to think too much green is embarrassing. It's too inaka (田舎, i.e. rural). Panda and I both live in a very green area. Tokyoites feel sorry for us.

Fine with me. Let them. I can feel equally sorry for them.

Where does all the (waste)water goes?

You know all those canals and rivers that flow in and around Tokyo and out to Tokyo Bay? You know why they smell bad? End of story.

How about source of clean drinkable water?

"Clean" is a relative term. Unfiltered tap water in Tokyo tends to taste hideous. That's one of the ways to tell a good restaurant from a mediocre one. If the glass of ice water they bring you smells like drain cleaner and tastes nowhere near as good, you can bet the food will be standard fare (but probably still good).

To be fair, though, the tap water in Itako isn't much better, and the water I get here at home has become noticeably smellier since my town became incorporated into Namegata City.

Can you actually breathe in there?

I have actually been in Tokyo once when the air was so foul it literally hurt to breathe too deeply. (Of course, I've had the same experience in L.A. and right next door in Kamisu City, so I should be fair.) I've had friends who live in Tokyo tell me that it's normal to come home after work or shopping and find soot deposits under their nostrils.

Definitely not my first choice for a place to live...though I enjoy visiting it a lot!

 
At 2:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, not enough time for Lima? Well, it's a good thing then that all international flights must arrive here in Lima first, so even if you just wanna go to Cuzco you'll still have to make a stop here...and guess who will be waiting for you at the airport? and of course then a visit to the dentist, hehehe...Hope you can really make it one day, remember you promised to take me out on a date ;)

*chocolate flavored kisses*
Caroliiiina

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger HappySurfer said...

That picture is of Tokyo? Is that a green lung in the centre?

Interesting post, Low.

MM, I didn't know the water is such in Tokyo. Here in Malaysia, we can drink the water straight from the tap though most homes now have installed water filters.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

Happy, people do drink the water straight from the tap in Tokyo, but it's pretty rank. It even smells bad. To be fair, the tap water in my school is pretty nasty, too. That's why the music office has its own powered filter system that Mr. Ogawa bought himself (wonderful!). Too bad the English office doesn't...

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

moody...
Thanks for the answers, I must say that some surprise me. Like green is embarrassing? Thinking back it make sense that some people wore mask on the street, even during winter. We should do so in KL too. Everything trapped in that "Klang Valley". Water (flash-flood), dirty air and what else, people.

But the tap water can't be that bad, can they? I didn't drink from tap but my ofuro sessions in some aparto were fantastic. Hot but clean, odorless. Maybe I am lucky. Haha.

But I missed Odaiba, anyway. Unable to visit Tokyo bay where few of Japan's main cities met, and continue to pour (dump) everything into it. So you will get one water filter soon? :)

caroliiiiina...
That's what I'm talking about: MUST I visit the dentist? lol There will be a date if I'm there. But after the dentist thingy, IF you insists. I can't imagine a bad date ends up sitting on the dentist's chair with you staring at me thinking what to do next.

Wow. :)

Warm hugs...

happy...
Yes my dear, that's Tokyo from 45th Floor. That green lung is Meiji Palace and some city garden. Tokyo tower is on the left -- well, if I had wider angle on this shot :)

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger YD said...

"Tokyoites tend to think too much green is embarrassing."

I am shocked about such mindset, cuz i have alwys thought Japanese are more 'green' in heart generally. But I think this is probably the common difference between people favouring urban cities and people closer to nature.

Looking at the canopy picture made me feel like (imaginarily) plucking all the patch of green up and scatter them equally distributed in all areas, so that we have dots of greens instead of patch of green. (Umm.. imagination ran wild...)

Malaysia still has a lot to learn in the aspect of maintaining the ecosystem, becuz majority of people, especially politicians, who are actually the people in charge, do not feel the importance of sustainable development/conservation of the place we live in.

Hey, I want to see you in those clogs too! and doing some dance too~! hehe

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

Malaysia still has a lot to learn in the aspect of maintaining the ecosystem, becuz majority of people, especially politicians, who are actually the people in charge, do not feel the importance of sustainable development/conservation of the place we live in.

I think you'll find a similar problem exists just about anywhere. Even in my native Oregon state, which has always prided itself on its beautiful wilderness and clean air/water, there was a recent incident where some journalists filmed illegal logging on public land...and were arrested because of it! (The state government accused the journalists of "inhibiting economic development" because they wanted to show people the truth!??!?)

It always boils down to which talks louder, money or Mother Gaia. Unfortunately, when Mother Gaia decides to squawk, we wind up with a disastrous storm, earthquake, tsunami, etc.. It never seems to help.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

yd and moody...
Some state government made it clear that logging is one of their main income, so they are reluctant to stop the business. Worse, they have few enforcers to patrol thousand hectars of forest. And, who, will ensure the enforcer's performance? Anything can happen, really.

And even with all the theories and facts from scientist environmentalist conservationist telling us that we are actually killing the planet slowly, there are little that we can do to stop all that. Some people can live driving bike. Some can't imagine life without car. We are so similar yet so different.

P/S : Wear those clogs and dance some more, huh? Come back and we will do it together! Hehe!!!

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger an+dh said...

one thing i found strange with Japan and Tokyo in particular is the seemingly opposite mindset of some behaviours:

1. all people separate the combustible and incombustible rubbish before putting them into their respective garbage bin, yet the incredible no. of plastic bags, wrappers, packaging you receive after visiting a LAWSON for a boxed lunch and a drink;
2. the maintaining of the forest in the countryside while putting more and more vending machines here and there, each being a 24-hr ac which emits harmful gas that helps in the ozone depletion and the creation of an insulation blanket over the city;

puzzeled...

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

It's like SOME government initiating tree planting campaign while issuing permits for logging.

Ironic as it might seems, but the truth is always unchanged -- money, capitalism, demand and supply. Many argued the key issue here is education, awareness, or even ideology. But is there any turning back? We are literarily killing a city dude by forcing them back to the "nature".

Maybe that's a good start? Be puzzeled :)

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Zach Reza said...

Low! No wonder you didn't call me to meet up with Richard and Laura, they spent less than 24 hours?
I'm sure u already know about the crash of our wonderful Couchsurfing site. So there goes our lists of friends :( Unless if you have their email addresses which I have only a few :(
Thanks for dropping by my blog :) Wah, tiramisu yeah? Don't set your hopes too high,I'm still learning, hehe. Shouldn't be too hard I guess, no baking involved! Whip some cheese and put it in the freezer. We're looking for a house, so soon you'll definitely can taste my cooking :p

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Hey Zack!

Less than 24, yeah, haha! CS website may have crashed but seems like they are building it up again. Give some support if you can, like registered your user name, go to the forum, etc. Funny thing is I sign up for HC minutes after I've learnt the bad news. Of course, they keep you waiting, as usual :p

It's good to see you being active again (posting), I am the one getting lazy now :) Hmm, some cheese won't kill me, so let me know when the tiramisu is ready! Or, you will have a house warming first? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home