Wednesday, October 11, 2006

My Politikus View

Something happened recently that I finally decided to write something…Politikus.

That’s politik (politic) + tikus (rat) = politikus for you. Not sure if that “rat” is a street creature or white experiment mice but whoever invented this new phase must be a genius, mostly because it sounds all too coherent – perfect merge of an adjective and nouns.

So, surprise! I’m talking about politic here! In reality, Malaysian live deeply immerse with political haze. For the first time blame is not on our Indonesian neighbor, who is still trying to solve the “only god (rain) can help to put them off” kinda forest fire. We, one the other hand, have our own “fire” to take care of. It sounds like:

”…dia otak tak centre… (the MP is insane)

“..it’s a lucky thing that you are in wheelchair. You almost died once…”

“…shoo that animal out of the (Parliament) House…nothing more than a big fool…”

“…MP slams Tun Mahathir over claims of vote-buying…become a victim of his own actions…”


Believe it or not, this is what 25 million Malaysian saw, live or not, through local television’s Evening News. Lively Dewan Rakyat (House of Representatives)! At times I almost chocked myself midway through dinner. Fortunately I only read (newspaper), seldom bordered to watch. Already we have one of the highest numbers of MPs (219 to say, 120 of New Zealand) but it’s sad to see they turn it into a what some journalist said circus, quite fit the description of Politikus, but never politician!

It’s only logical that our education system (kindly refer to recent local newspapers) produced so-called spoon-feed citizens (actually they said graduates, but more like citizens to me) with lackadaisical attitude bundle with no sense of basic social understanding and commitment. It’s not hard to figure out, why (one of the reason, that is). Maybe that explain why I always think I’m probably the only happy Malaysian around (not sure if I can beat Happy, fellow blogger :p): I hardly openly complaint (not on the bus or something) about government policies (else Ong Kar Ting will tell you: Join us! *be tikus!), not frustrated by unusual traffic congestions after rain (because everyone knows where that 4.4billion of crude oil subsidy goes), can’t bemused by evidently disintegrating environment (because Perak state can’t stop logging of 10 million years old rainforest because that is their bread and butter!)…ah, now we are getting started!

Let’s move to next section:

“… Kelantan state tourism committee chairman Datuk Anuar Tan Abdullah…expatriates do not wish to settle here…because Malaysian women cannot be easily influenced to become wives of wealthy foreigners…”

“…under University and University College Act…undergraduates not allowed to join and groups…except for those run by varsities...”

“…Constitution has been amended so many times it is now filed by ‘Periodicals’…”

“…Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Mohd Nazri Abdul Aziz warned…government would not hesitate to use the Sedition Act…against who insulted Islam…”

“…3:2:1 ratio for schools…move to reduce racial polarization…”

“…Merdeka Centre for Opinion Research...majority respondents still identified themselves according to their race and religion…”


For a while I confused whether that opinion from Datuk Anuar Tan should be included in this what I’d call “Message from the government”. After all, “Malaysian My Second Home (MM2H)” programme is one of government’s bright plans, too. There’s never a clear direction, else transparency wouldn’t be a problem.

For instance, after 49 years, Malaysian still finds themselves guessing each other, no thanks to our government. Blame game can only get worse when the truth is hidden, that most citizens are so deprived of facts and information that they still easily stirred by racial issues. If we could “freed” ourselves from those seemingly endless multi-racial sparkles, our government has some good “Acts” round their belly. Imagine they can still put you into something-like-jail without trial. We are talking about indefinite detention without trial, hence something-like-jail!

Obviously, I failed to mention certain government policies like New Economy Plan, detailed affirmative actions, etc. that deemed unnecessary to me. It is clear to me, whatever policies we have now have little connection with how I should perceive other Malaysian (race).

Next: Are you looking about my car, man?

“…non-profit hospital struggle to survive…no government subsidy…people who seek treatment there…consider be of a lower social status…”

“…parents seem to believe government school no longer provides decent education…private tuition become mandatory…”


Consumer culture. It is Okay for me, if it stretches as far as fancy clothing, flashy cell phone and good looking cheap car. Problem is it has gone too far this time, like one small step by that whoever on the moon. Maybe it’s all related: what can be achieved by government (sorry, it’s not like they are always wrong) can be emulate by big cooperation. Nothing difficult. You probably need to hire some Diploma holders in “Consumer Mind” or something. Not forgetting those years of experience messing around with different products plus big money: that “money makes money” theory is too good to be true.

But again, if you believe money can educate your child and cheap (NGO) doctor are not well trained, then go ahead. Ironically, we made our choice and since it’s proven that we still live well despite loosing few thousand square miles of forest on daily basis. Regardless, money is as good as we can get? How true!

So, maybe it's time to sum up this politikus view of mine -- which clearly not inspire by Indonesian fire (hence equal Malaysia haze). You see, my family is celebrating a new member, Jenn-Yee. Sis gave birth to my lovely niece last month – about the same time Higher Education Minister Datuk Mustapha Mohamed apologized to Education Ministry over a statement made by his deputy, Datuk Ong Tee Keat, who alleged the misuse of fund meant for Chinese school renovations.

It seems like “under Cabinet directive, a minister or deputy minister is not allowed to comment on other ministries.” How about us (citizens)? Jenn-Yee might ask me (most probably me, I think, haha!) one day, when she can finally walk and talk.

It’s Malaysian in dilemma, and they (politikus or not) have not even start thinking about it yet. Too much sex (money), couldn't see love(whatever)? And, you gotta make sure of that “majority parliament seats won” in next general elections, and it will keep them busy (fighting among themselves) for a long while: like till next election again. But we, still vote for them. People like us are just prefect for them: afraid to change, to old to fight, stability is never wrong. Can’t wait for the third alternative power to grow: the non-governmental, non-profit, non-religiuos, non-racial and Malaysian power. Give up? On your own country? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? :)

But not all Malaysian are like that, mind you. And I am not here to debate, just speak for myself and let everyone judge. Again, my critics have got nothing to do with anybody’s level of education. At least it has not direct relation to your degree and professional qualification plus high earning that allows you to mock a house cleaner like the rubbish of yourself. I strongly believes that it is what you do that defines you (quote: Batman Begins. Kindly refer to local movie vendor near you). I met some amazing Malaysian so far, and it’s the people around me that define my world, regardless where on earth am I. Happy as I am, most people I met so far didn’t try to make my life miserable for no reason (or you didn’t try hard enough, yet? Hehe!). Thank you and cheers!

I will do my best for Jenn-Yee, and save some for my soul.


Note:
Post of this nature, hopefully the first and last from me, is created with reference and inspiration from few main sources. To name a few:

Idris, SM Mohamed, For A Sane, Green Future (Penang, 1990)
*Lat, Kampung Boy: Yesterday & Today (Kuala Lumpur, 1993)
Raslan, Karim, Ceritalah: Malaysia in Transition (Singapore, 1996)
Sardar, Ziauddin, The Consumption of Kuala Lumpur (London, 2000)
Zamani, Dr. Asrul, The Malay Ideals (Selangor, 2002)
And, local newspaper The Star (mostly) and The Sun (2005 to date)

*Local artist – comic book



Jenn-Yee, 2 weeks

8 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Blogger S said...

Sounds very similar to the Indian Parliament in session :)

your neice looks lovely! Congratulations.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger HappySurfer said...

Dear Low, first and foremost, Congratulations on being an uncle. (First time, I take it?)

Your comment tickled me, this one:
" I always think I’m probably the only happy Malaysian around (not sure if I can beat Happy, fellow blogger :p) haha... hello fellow happy-blogger.

I couldn't agree more with this:
" I strongly believe that it is what you do that defines you." Well-said.

Thanks for some laughs.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Pandabonium said...

Jenn-Yee, your wise uncle has described the country you are going to grow up in with honesty and humor. You look so sweet and innocent as you yawn in your comfy blanket.

I hope you may enjoy the fruits of your uncle's passion for life and compassion for others, and see the world not through rose colored glasses, yet still with a positive vision of what it can be. Remember it isn't is around you, but rather what is within you that determines your happiness in this life.

So much to learn and to enjoy and to do. I wish you all the best Jenn-Yee.

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Gosh, finally have some time to reply you all. Thanks for the comments, it's been a while, no? :) Anyway, Nepal is brilliant. I will be here till 25th, or longer :p Here we go...

s!!!
How are you?!? :P Yeah we are not too different aren't we? Maybe we need more lawyer like you :) Take care!

Happy...
Well, that's you :p But uncle...maybe not me, I will try to be her older brother..till she can speaks, I guess. Hehe...

Pandabonium...
Nicely put, my friend. I'm sure I will share this with her and about some wonderful blogger I am fortunately enough to "meet", here.

If there's anything I would pass down to her, it would be be postive in your life. That within thingy, huh? :)

Later, then!

Love from Banepa,
@LOW@

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger HappySurfer said...

Low, you are in Nepal? Wow!! I am excited. Will we be getting some updates real soon? Can't wait.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger YD said...

Congratulations uncle Low! ^_^

That's a good smash at Malaysian ever-famous politikus. With radical politicians coming out, and racial suspicion gong on, not only our political field is at stakes, but our life in Malaysia is greatly affected.

I felt quite strongly about the issue about the misuse of fund meant for chinese school renovations. As students from chinese school background, we do see these things happen and are very much aware of the many discrimination we faced. What frustrated me is the way the politicians handle the case.

In many other countries, when an issue is raised, investigation will be carried out to check the truth of the claims. Debates, discussion happen between politicians. I don't deny there are some bad practices as well, but at least they CONFRONT the issue directly.

In Malaysia, whenever somebody raise an issue, the issue ITSELF is never investigated and resolved. Instead, the one who voices out get axed. Politicians like to divert the attention on blaming the loud-voice-speaker "thou shall not speak on sensitive issues" or "it is against our cultural value to condemn our own community", blah blah... Not only Datuk Ong get the blow, even our former PM, got all sorts of accusations when he raised some concerns on various issues, as a "rakyat". Unsurprisingly, clear answers were never given about his questions, and it seems there has not been further investigation about various issues.

God bless our country. We can now hope that voicing our concerns will not expose us to some ISA rules. It is sad to see those who care get trampled.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger YD said...

btw, enjoy your Nepal trip!! We can expect some great photos and write-up after you are back. =)

Be safe.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Zach Reza said...

wow, you're going to Nepal? R u going to Csing there? Is Jenn Yee your newborn niece? Congrats man, when are u getting ur own ;)?
btw, Pls come to our open house/housewarming/Aresha's b'day party on the 18th @ Sri Gombak. Email me ur email add so that I can give u the map to the house
Take care, hope to see u soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home