Saturday, February 24, 2007

Greetings from the South!

6 days down the road I finally have some time to clean both my clothes and my mailbox. That 12 hours GuangZhou to Hainan Island train journey was fantastic, especially when you found yourselve sleeping inn the train rested inside the giant ferry.

So far it has been great - I felt like a lucky man, meeting the right people even before I board the flight to Macau via LCCT terminal. Micheal who borrowed my pen eventually guide me through the Macau to Hong Kong with ease. Arriving Hong Kong I travelled far north to Taiwo near New Territory - rather odd for a first timer but I always goes where my friends take me. And the reward: Steph sisters helped me settled down in Hong Kong fast enough, simple because they both switch in between English to almost perfect Cantonese in a blink of an eye.



Then come Sally, whom I didn't contact in the first place but kind enough to show me around some seemingly boring place like the Sha Tin Racecourse. Johnson always had his camera - one of the reason why I didn't bring along mine when we hangout in Lan Kuai Fong. Kay's apartment high up in Central's street was fantastic, definitely tell some stories about expat living in Hong Kong.

Short breakfast session with Blair somehow gave me even deeper thoughts - many of us travelled for different reason, as right or wrong is hard to justify when you crossed cultural reign of other society, bringing some of ours. And oh, Agnes's mother insist me to bring some peanuts for long train journey and the father would probaly bring me to some man's place during my next visit - already their daughter helped me so much!




But not everyting goes as planned - like I knew I was going to take some night photos but left my tripod in the hostel. I ended up using the trash bin and staircase guard/walls/whatever to set up my shots - the famous Avenue of Stars and night view of Vitoria Habour. I wished to stay longer in Hong Kong but the then undecided Guangzhou to Hainan journey left me no choice but to leave Hong Kong early. In Guangzhou - that's another story.

There are many things about Hong Kong that I want to see for myself: The red-coloured taxi, bamboo struts, busy and quick lifestyles. Suprisingly I had come to realize that I'm too accomodated to multi-everything society: I have to start adjusting myselves to what I've awalys thought to be perfectly "my world", even though monolithic but almost everyone looks "yellow" and speaks Chinese.

And thanks to my friends and people that I met both intentionally or not, they made this trip authentic and I felt alomst like home. Or did I said thank you already? You know, saying thank you will never be good enough!

10 Comments:

At 3:00 PM, Blogger Pandabonium said...

Reading that was like watching a movie at 8X normal speed. My head is still spinning! Terrific night pic of Hong Kong.

Well, you know Low, the way you think or at least the way you express yourself, I hope I can meet you in person some day. I think we are tuned to the same frequency.

I've never been to HK, but have friend who lived there. Hmmm... maybe I'll watch an old movie about it tonight.

Looking forward to your next post.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger HappySurfer said...

Low, Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Yet another interesting post. Did you spend the CNY in Hongkong? If so, it must have been quite an experience spending it not at home but in another land. Like PandaB said, looking forward to your next post.

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Pandabonium said...

I am also curious if you met Pink Panther?

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Bia said...

Hi Low!!!

Happy New year!!!
It is very nice to hear from you :)
See you...
Bianca

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Pandabonium...
Oh we should really meet up one day, my friend. Much to talk about even though I may not be as what you think I am? Haha!

It's amazing: I understand and know things 8X too because of my friends - again it's just lucky to find/meet someone who are wiling to talk and share. I haven really have time to write it down - will do it back in my village, when I am far from computer and cars? :)

Hmm, my journey back to KL is quite tight. But PP agreed to meet me up, if necessary, in the airport! Well I need to figure things out in Guangzhou on the 3rd to be sure. Wish us luck :p

Happy...
Gongxi Gongxi! I am in Macau/Hong Kong on the first day of CNY, so I suppose I spent my CNY there LOL It's okay this time since I have friends with me. Else it would be difficult? :)))

Bianca...
Arigatou!!! Happy Chinese New Year to you too :) Well you can always find me HERE, so talk to you later :p

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Leishia said...

hey there, just surfed and bummed in here. great site. great stories.

am impressed with ur postcards collecting hobby. used to collect 'em, and get my adrenaline all high and pumping receiving em. :)

if u like, i have tones of em to give out as i dont have the time to keep the hobby going now. get in touch!

cheerios!

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger PinkPanther said...

Time was really tight for you to visit HK on this journey.

Never mind, who knows, you might visit again sometimes in the future. Right?

Have you experienced the quick, busy walking speed in the MTR – HK? You can’t walk slowly,, otherwise, people would pushed you at your back. :-P

Hey, Hong Kong and Macao do have Horse Racing. There’s a rare Greyhound Racing in Macao which is quiet fun to watch.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

leishia j..
Hey, thanks for dropping by! I didn't design the website interface so I will say thank you for that "great stories", haha!

I collect postcard which is "sent" to me, so I'm afraid I can't have yours :p Thanks anyway, and it will be nice if you can send me postcard during your 2nd, 3rd...honeymoon somewhere on earth, hehe...

Again congratulation and keep in touch!

pinkpanther..
Nice to meet you too, my friend :)

I left Hong Kong when it started to be normal again - I mean the crowds, whew! I remember hanging around at Tokyo's metro station, seeing people move in three different speed-mode like the train do - guess I'll be doing the same in HK if I have that chance again :p

Definitely will come back again, especially for the Greyhound racing :)

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

Wow...Hong Kong looks surreal. It seems like a pretty busy place though (understatement of the year?).

Best of luck!

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Leishia said...

woah, its been awhile since i last check back here! yeah hey, i think i can afford to send u a postcard (from my collection) from time to time, if u want. dont want them to go down the bin some day. :/

oh well write me. leishia26 at yahoo dot com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home