Friday, August 24, 2007

Coming through...

It seems like I will missed the deadline, again. Am trying to post something here all this while but unfortunately busy work schedule kept me grounded.

Then I decided to give myself a break, to indulge in the mysterious China again, for a week. That means I will celebrate MERDEKA later, not on and not only on 31st, anyway. So sorry, I won't be flying the flag. It certainly means little to me, as I always carry my country and nationality everywhere I go, regardless.

It really makes me feel glad and apologetic at the same time, receiving message from fellow bloggers who are concern about my whereabout. Will certainly tells you guys how I celebrate our national day later, but as for now, I feels like going back to China.

I mean my first China trip, not the coming one! I suppose we are at Hong Kong in previous post, so going Guangzhou now, shall we? Just assume the previous Chinese-character post as advertisement break ok, haha... :)

*** *** ***

 
Posted by Picasa

When the bus arrives at China-Hong Kong border, I have to go through not just one, but two immigration checks. The procedure is almost similar to that of crossing Malaysia-Singapore border. It’s always easier to get-out than get-in, so we (together with other passengers) wave Hong Kong’s immigration officer bye-bye in no time. Then our bus brings us to China’s immigration office.

Here, we have to leave our bus with all our luggage and belonging. It takes more than an hour before all passengers are cleared; and start searching for our bus again. But to make the matter even more complicated, we were told to board a new, different bus. Although we were informed while approaching the second check-point but there are hardly any details on whether the bus number, station number, etc.

Now I know why the operator sticks a bright-colored tag on our shoulder and said “Please do not remove it.” So throughout the journey I hold tights to two things: my passport and the bus ticket to Guangzhou. Loosing either one before I reach Guangzhou would bring some serious trouble: is it difficult for my friends in both Guangzhou and Hong Kong to “safe” me.

Relaxing at my Aunt Hoong’s house that night I thought it has been quite a day. I met her and her family for the first time in years; and Guangzhou is not what I thought how it should be. My aunt lives Tianhe area, north-east of Guangzhou city. It’s a new residential area, complete with colleges, well-landscaped garden, shops and nice looking apartments. Sipping the cold qingdao beer, I am awe by the panorama view from the sixth floor: Guangzhou, a city with population of 10 million or more.

Aunt then serve me home-cooked dinner, although it’s more like supper now. We spoke of my families in Malaysia and how she grew up with grand uncle in Hainan before settling down in Guangzhou with her Cantonese husband. They have a son – born after the fateful year of 1978 means this will be their only one child. I find it hard to take that thought of birth control’s law away from my mind. Unlike the population, sometime it’s hard to measure the physiological pressure endures by the laobaixing, or the rakyat.

Unfortunately, like Macau, Guangzhou is just another “transit-city” for me. Two weeks is too short for me to linger around here any longer. Aunt already bought me the train ticket to Hainan for the next day, so I have to content with slightly less than 24 hours of her hospitality.

Before I left, Aunt Hoong manage to get me some snacks, bundle with advise like always look after my belonging and be careful with the crowd in the train station! Each year almost 100 million battle their way through public transport system, mostly trains, to reunite with their family. Am about to witness China’s famous as chunyun or Spring Festival Rush!

In fact, from the beginning aunt is puzzled over my decision to take train when direct flight to Haikou cost just slightly more, not mentioning the advantage of shorter traveling time and comfortable journey. Of course, I did give the traffic woes a thought. I consulted my cousin, Luoqi in Hainan and few other friends in Hong Kong and Guangzhuo. The conclusion: Generally chunyun starts weeks earlier and would probably re-start again weeks after the festival date. If I am a Chinese, and not Malaysian, I should be with my family already!

So, my best guess is by now, the chunyun’s peak is over or slowing down, and everything will be good: my bed, the journey, safety, and the scenery as a bonus, perhaps. At least aunt manage to get the ticket, didn’t she?

*** *** ***

One final note: Actually I've written an article for a local magazine, Santai Village. My editor friend told me I can find the magazine at MPH bookstore in Malaysia, and my story will be publish in September 2007's issue. Thing is, the article is in Malay language - I will probably post it here anyway - but not before the book is on the shelves :p

When I'm back, I'll be probably go back to the twelfth day of Chinese Lunar New Year. Maihao town, Hujing village. This is where my grandpa spent his early years before leaving for Nanyang (Southern Sea) at young age, for a better prospect.

This is where I begun to understand the meaning of it all - but now if you would excuse me I have plane to catch up! :)

Have a nice weekend, my friends!

 
Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

At 4:29 PM, Blogger Pandabonium said...

A new post with you on the go again! What a nice surprise to find upon returning from a short journey of our own.

You never disappoint with your writing and pictures. I'm sure the readers of your published story will be pleased as well. Perhaps you'll be in National Geographic some time - really.

The last pic is so colorful and joyful. Travel safely.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger PinkPanther said...

很高兴见到你再次写Blog。

这几年中国内地变化很大,特别是广东省的一些大成市,与及北京或上海等。

广州的确发展得很快,吸引了北方的工人及西方来工作的人也非常多。
我还记得第一次去广州时,是四岁。那时同我的家人及叔叔,姑姐及堂兄弟姐妹一行十八人乘船要一晚才到。
现在再看会那些旧相片,真得回味一番呢!

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

Well, welcome back, wandering traveler! It's good to see you back! It sounds like your China visit was quite an experience. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story.

 
At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your gift, @Low@.

Hoping you enjoy the special day on tomorrow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home